Old Lowland School was one of the first high schools in Hamblen County.  Intermont and Lowland Schools eventually merged and, in 1951, Lowland and Springvale Schools were consolidated to form Union Heights. The current building, built in 1951, has been renovated four times.  The most recent additions were a new library, four new classrooms, an office suite, and a renovated gym and cafeteria.